Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Wielder of Thunderbolts

A blinding thunderbolt touched down to earth, shattering the star-crusted night sky, causing forceful shockwaves to span from its epicenter in tulmulterous waves. I was ferociously thrown to the ground, shielding my sensitive eyes from the starkly luminous beam, and could feel each strand of hair on my skin stand on its end. I rose on shaky feet, searching with crazed eyes for the gifted soul who could wield such indisputable power.

Was he a friend or foe?

Was the thunderbolt meant for me?

Had I been discovered?

I clutched at the bark of a nearby tree to keep upright as I was hit with residual spasms, and opened my mind in search of the formidable intruder.

Silence. Eerily so.

The risen full moon lit a path of scorched earth before me. Energized static clawed at my skin, creating spidery friction beneath my heavy coat. A crackling boom shuddered through my eardrums as flickers of light pulsed through the night.

And it was there, upon the relentlessly striking iron gate, that I saw him. The young boy sat atop the gate’s flat edge, swinging his legs with a carefree composure that was disconcerting enough to send another tremor through my bones. He used one hand to clasp the iron bars, keeping himself steady, and began to steadily lift the other above his head of moonlit curly hair. With a face of child-like blithe, he illuminated the canvased ink sky, once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment